History of Unity Center Church – Unity of the Oaks
Photo of Rev. Irma Oestmann and Rev. Molly Rockey taken on March 3, 2013 to celebrate Unity of the Oak's new home by giving thanks to our beginnings.
October 1, 1997 - Rev. Irma Oestmann began Unity Center Church by offering free classes & workshops on Friday nights.
Location: Westlake Village Community Room, City Hall and Library.
April 12, 1998 - The first church service was held on Easter Sunday.
The last Sunday at this location was January 31, 1999.
Location: The Crystal Room of the Holiday Inn Thousand Oaks Hotel
(450 N. Ventu Park Rd.)
February 7, 1999 – First Sunday at the space at Old Meadow Park and the beginning of our Youth Ministry!
Our final Sunday at Old Meadows April 9, 2001.
Location: Old Meadow Park, Conejo Recreation and Parks, 1600 Marview Drive, Thousand Oaks.
April 15, 2001 – Easter Sunday was the first service at Four Friends Plaza
Location: Larry Janss’ building at 1414 E. Thousand Oaks Blvd.
May 2003 - Rev. Irma Oestmann retired to Palm Desert, CA.
October 12, 2003 - Rev. Mary Lacalle, fresh from Unity Ministerial School, started her ministry.
May 2006 - Rev. Mary moved back home to Christ Unity in Sacramento
May 21, 2006 - Rev. Molly Rockey started full time ministry… and we grew.
Sometime in 2007, member Opal Friesen suggested a name change, and everyone agreed. We became "Unity of the Oaks"!
September 3, 2007 - We expanded our office and classroom space… and we grew!
March 3, 2013 - Having outgrown our sweet space at 1414 E. Thousand Oaks Boulevard, we moved to a larger sanctuary and beautiful new office space at the Conejo Valley Masonic Center at 2786 Crescent Way!
June 6, 2013 - Rev. Molly Rockey receives full ordination as a Unity Minister.
May 2014 - Application for a return to Full Church Status sent to Unity Worldwide Ministries!