There Are No Secrets – Dr. Ed Rockey
What I do regularly to keep myself fit
Spiritually, Mentally, Emotionally and Physically
by Ed Rockey, Ph.D.
Each practice below fits into one of those four categories, but each practice also integrates with items in other categories. You are a remarkably integrated being.
- I eat fruits regularly, especially berries (preferably organic).
- Eat dark green leafy vegetables consistently. (Spinach, Chard, Kale, etc.
- Eat Cruciferous Veggies regularly (cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage).
- Reduce consumption of simple carbohydrates. Very little white bread or pasta. Eat brown rice and whole grain bread and pasta.
- Eat sweet potatoes. (Eat white potatoes rarely.)
- Buy organic food as often as possible. Lassen’s and Whole Foods usually, but also bought at several local markets (Sprouts, Albertson’s, etc.)
- Eat pie or cake rarely, usually only on festive occasions.
- Eat beans, especially black beans, regularly.
- Drink high-quality water.
- Eat three eggs a week.
- Eat dark chocolate, in moderation. (70% cacao to 85%).
- Drink red wine. One glass daily. Organic wine usually.
- Avoid soda and candy.
- Include healthy fats in your diet. (Avocados, whole eggs, chicken, lean beef, almonds, walnuts, etc.) Your brain needs that.
- Avoid so called “fast foods”.
- Take a digestive enzyme as needed and chew foods thoroughly.
- Exercise regularly. I go to a guym five to six times a week, and I work with a trainer once every week. Occasionally, I work out at home, also.
- While using a computer or watching TV, I get up regularly and stretch or walk in place or lift weights.
- Get 7 – 8 hours of sleep each night.
- Stretch quite often (including a restorative yoga course.)
- Meditate prayerfully every day. Usually morning and evening.
- Get out in nature. Hike. Vacation in the woods annually.
- Take walks outdoors on most days.
- Molly and I tell each other “I love you” every day. Give and receive affection every day. Hugs, kisses, holding hands while walking.
- Be active in a loving, inspiring, spiritual community: Unity of the Oaks!
- Found the love of my life and married her.
- Found a career that fulfills my purpose in life.
- Express gratitude daily. I keep and look at a gratitude list regularly. It’s quite large, with over 150 people or events in my life.
- Celebrate my successes. Acknowledge my strengths.
- Keep busy mentally, Teaching. Reading.
- Discovered and honor spiritual truth in Unity.
- Keepy myself interested in reading valuable literature.
- Avoid horror movies.
- Accept traditional medical skill and knowledge (surgeries and radiation.)
- Consulted a naturopath and practiced non-traditional medical knowledge. (Discuss with your doctor to make sure it’s not harmful for you.)
- Live in the Now. Not in anxiety for the future or with regrets from the past.